"As for Maidenhead, the conga (which was amusing) aside, quite a strange bunch really – some the oddest chants I've ever heard at a football match" ~ localboy86, Amber Planet forum, 26th April 2015

Friday 23 December 2011

"I'm lucky that my Chairman knows his football"



"I set a budget at the start of the season and I haven't raised that budget. Keith Scott is working within it and the players who have come in are prepared to work within it as well.

"It's the vision of the club and the ambitions we have for it that they are buying into."

When Windsor FC was formed in the summer, Stott always said he wanted to stay away from a business model which saw one benefactor putting money in to ensure the club stayed afloat.

Self-sustainability has always been the long-term goal and the club has plans to install 3G astroturf pitches and a gym at Stag Meadow in the near future.

And Stott insists that is still very much the case. He said: "I always said I would fund the start up costs and that's what I'm going to do.

"But I don't have any grand designs to be the sugar daddy of a football club, that doesn't work.

"So if we're not given the go ahead to develop the ground and do what we want to do, I'm not going to be doing it again next season or the season after next.

"That doesn't mean we won't have a football club next year, we just won't have a budget that we could sustain in a higher division."

Windsor's founding director added: "But I would be gutted now if we don't manage to pull off what we're trying to do, I think it's a model for non-league football.

"We're trying to do something different, not repeat the same mistakes. We're on the road to self-sustainability.

"I don't want to be just another football club who had a dream, drew some pretty pictures but then saw nothing happen.


Is the last sentence a dig at a certain other Royal Borough-based football club, I wonder?!

Fair play to Stott; he at least says all the right things, and comes across well in the paper.

As they say, though, talk is cheap ... and the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment